Washed up onshore :)

Still at sea? Swallowed the anchor and come ashore? Let the community know what your up to.

Moderator: Vixen

marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

To start the ball rolling let me say hello to everyone and pass on what I have been doing since leaving Horizon.

Aker Geo Seismic - m.v. Aker Symphony - Chief Navigator (until I was demoted and replaced by a Norwegian... :( )

Svitzer - m.v. Svitzer Mercator - Surveyor (just one trip was needed to access this situation! :wink: )

Thales GeoSolutions (Racal Survey) - Party Chief (lots of varied jobs until I ended up on the m.v. Thales Venturer for the mobilisation then continuing as Assistant Party Chief until its sale to Fugro....)

Seistech - Freelance (A few trips on m.v. CGG Alize, which was OK... I guess :shock: )

Now I am back onshore in my current job as a VTS operator at the local navigation service. It is as boring as hell but at least I am on shore I guess :mrgreen:

I hope everyone is well, and we can all keep in touch via this forum.

Best Regards,

Mark Payne
Last edited by marky9074 on Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen

Last trip Venturer to sunny Brazil, Aug 2003, followed up by dabbling in a 4D project and some time in the States. Awarded the "Redundancy Prize" from Fab Fugro, April 2004.
Qualifeed as Diver and Offshore Medic in June 2003, but follow on
plans for Medical School went a bit awry, (owing to not getting a place - just a minor thing!!) but intend to give it one more chance next year.
In the mean time I have a job as a Visitiing Lecturer at the University of Wales in Newport.
Still messing around with lifeboats etc and running the London Marathon in April this year! (I was 5 ft 8.5 when I started training, now I'm 5 ft 7......!!)

Please feel free to pop in for a welsh cake and a cuppa if anyone happens to be passing!!
Last edited by Vixen on Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colintoo

:twisted:

Hi Vix, Marky..... any others that might remember me....

Colin Downey

Am back in Ireland working as a plant manager for an LPG company.... I didn't so much swallow the anchor as have it shoved down my throat.... but it was the best thing to ever happen to me.

The email address is floating around this website somewhere if any of you want to get in touch

Marky.... great idea for a web site.... I will pass it on to William and some others that float past here occasionally

Nice work

Later

Cheers
Colin D~
scott
Noob
Noob

Thanks for the link Mark, great idea, setting up this site. I too was looking for some info on Horizon on the net not so long ago and came up with nothing.

After Horizon, I worked briefly for Western Geo onshore until they announced they were becoming Western Geco. I didn't fancy being made redundant twice in one year, so I went to CGG. Three days into the job, they asked if I could go to Houston for 3 months. That was almost 5 years ago and I'm still here.

Got married last year to a Texan, so it looks like I'm staying!

Hope everyone is doing well,

Scott Sutherland
Last edited by scott on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockchick

Hi all,

Well, I too am in the process of starting to hang up my seismic shoes, although not completely...

I went to Aker/CGG after Horizon (the short time spent at Gardline I'm trying very hard to forget! :shock: ) and stayed there for about 4 years all told. Now just about to start as a Support Engineer with Concept so I'll still be hanging around boats occasionally trying to relive the glory days.

I've also hung up my singleton shoes as getting hitched next year to a mad aussie...

Hope everyone is well and having fun out in the big wide world

Irene
DuncanR
Mechanic
Mechanic

Hi

Found the website yesterday and think its brilliant. Will post some photos of Lab when get chance to scan them.

I started offshore on the Labrador in 1999 as a Seismic data processor with ProMax under the wings of John "Penfold" Cole in at the deep end was a good description. Remember first trip with 3 weeks painting the Labrador while in dry dock on Pelican Island in Galveston. Good fun I enjoyed my time on board pity it all went pear shaped.

After Horizon i did a bit of Mudlogging before joining Svitzer and then Thales where I ended up back in the GoM. Then it was onshore with IHS Energy in Gloucestershire but the money dragged me offshore once more with Snamprogetti surveying the Bluestream pipeline in the Black sea on board a DeepOcean vessel Edda Fonn which was like a cruise ship. That was my last offshore lark and now land lubber with Hackney Council in the east end!
jcullen
Noob
Noob

Hi everyone,

Just found the site, and its a great one!

Well ended up in Veritas DGC for a few more years after the pink slip fun of 1999. Had enough of that by 2002 and went looking for land work. Did some contract work in Ireland for a year but couldn't get anything permanent, relatively decent and of the variety that wouldn't rapidly drive me insane :shock: ....so I left for Canada.

In good old Halifax would you believe, isn't life odd. Anyway, I'm doing offshore stuff at the University to get a PhD, so the poverty striken student life for me. Having a ball.

if anyone finds themselves in this part of the world, feel free to get in touch. Meanwhile the email address is around somewhere.

take care eveyone :lol:
Janette
albafreedom
Noob
Noob

Hi, nice one mark and all others involved in setting this up. Well I'm still here on the Symphony (Atlantic Horizon). Things not the same on here that's for sure. Met Norman Goodyear earlier this year on the Laurentian.

I'm married and have two boys now. Callum 2 years old, Viggo 3 months

May see you in the field.

cheers
Simon
marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Simon,

Good to hear from you! Spread the word and we will try and get this forum active again...

Cheers,

Mark
Jonny G
Noob
Noob

Hi All,
top idea Mark. site address passed to me by a friend who was looking for a photo of the Lab !!!

Working for Maintenance one doing refrigeration, air con and anything else TESCO want to throw at us. Working exclusively on the Express stores. Have been working on Express from its conception, almost. From 20 or so sites to over 650 now nation wide.

Would never say never to a return to seismic, altough as time goes by it looks unlikely.

Abigail is now 7 and Charlie 3, unfortunatly my marrage to Claire broke down in Oct last year and I am back home with my parents.

Will endevour to dig out some photos in time.

Jon G
DaveL
Noob
Noob

Ok, having lurked around this forum for some time and reading Jon's previous post I thought it was time to register and say Hello to you all.

Reading Jon's post brought first a shudder then a chuckle at the mention of the dreaded "T" word.... Tesco :roll:

Since leaving the ocean life I've been working for a company not to dissimilar to yourself Jon. I travel all over the UK instaling Cases/Deli Equipment etc. Our biggest customer is, yes Tesco :!:
I've worked in dozens of the Express stores all over the country so maybe one day our paths will cross once again.

I had some very good times (and a few bad) in the 10 yrs I was with Horizon and have some fond memories of many of you.
I wish all of you well in your chosen path's and would like to thank Mark for putting this forum together.
Be safe all and feel free to drop me a line. I'm often away for periods but it dos'nt quite extend to six weeks nowadays :wink:

Best Regards DaveL
Jonny G
Noob
Noob

Well what can i say, its been a busy last couple of months. I have left the normal 9 to 5 and returned to the sanity of the seismic world.

I now work for Seamap as a field engineer installing the GunLink. I have moved from Kent to Somerset.

Will possibly end up bumping into you all soon....
marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congratulations Jon, sounds like a nice little number....

Mark
gefgef

Hello Jon,

Nice to hear from you.
Do you have any plans to visit the Bergen Surveyor in Norway around
the 2nd and 3rd weeks in September?

Regards,
GEF
colinlob

Hi there you landlubbers.
Just to bring you up to date on my self and the family.
Still in teaching. Now at Mid Cheshire College in Northwich, Cheshire. Certainly beats real work for a living, this teaching computing lark, mostly to dysfunctional 16 to 19 year olds, and foundation degree students.
Family now consists of myself, wife Heather and four children Sarah 6, Emma 5, Claire 2 and Andrew only seven weeks.
Funny how you seem to miss some of the laugh bits about offshore, but forget the back deck work on the Pacific in the sleet and sub-zero rain.
Hope all is well with the rest of you.
regards Colin