Still waiting

Moderator: siesmech

marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

Still waiting for Colin and Charliey to post here.....

You know you want to... :D
marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Steve! :P
Sent: 09 August 2007 20:02
To: Mark Payne
Subject: Horizon Land Crew information

Mark,

I came across http://www.eaglegeo.co.uk/landcrew.htm when I was idly browsing the other day.

I was a Senior Observer and Instrument Engineer on the Land Crews with Horizon and can fill you in with a bit more information, but not sure of the dates, but if its interesting I could probably find out.

LC1 - UK - Dorset
LC2 - UK - Kent & Sussex
LC3 - Jamaica
LC4 - High Res Coal surveys - UK - Notts/Yorks
LC5 - UK - All over, vibroseis (1990 Italy)
LC6 - ?
LC7 - Bangladesh?
LC8 - ?
LC9 (1989 Tanzania) - I'm sure this crew was formed to go to Argentina initially (Patagonia)
LC10 - Bangladesh
LC11 - There was no LC11
LC12 (dynamite only
HRL2 Mini-SOSIE (1988 Tewkesbury) - This crew went to Sweden as well

Cheers,
Steve Fox
Ex-SSL, Horizon & Spectrum
Steve Douglas
Noob
Noob

Hi, I joined Horizon exactly 30 years ago today on 08/08/1988 and joined the land crew as a Obs working on the coal board surveys in York, Notts, etc and also did a year in Italy so these would be LC4 and LC5 I assume. I also did a trip to Tanzania 1989 so LC9(?). Came back with malaria from there so cheers for that....

Anyway, anyone out there from those crews? I'm scratching my head trying to remember names but a few are Keith Pagett(instrument guy), Jim O'Sullivan senior Obs, Keith (?) senior obs. I remember the coal board birddog was Malcolm Elstob.

When the land crews got binned I went over to the marine side and was on the Pacific Horizon for a year in the North Sea. Went from there to PGS for 11 eleven years, got to Party Chief then got fed up and quit the seismic game. Still in the oil business though.

Anyway, if anyone should read this, please say hello.

Cheers, Steve Douglas
TimCheesman
Noob
Noob

I started as a junior observer on LC3 in 1980 in Axminster, Devon. I went down to Argentina in 1981 for one year. I think that may have been LC6. It was Vibroseis and based just outside Neuquen (more or less Patagonia). Steve Fox was there to help us all get started. I remember Colin Lyne and local hire Guillermo Servente. Geoffrey Sampson was one of the British mechanics (he started in St. Austell under China Clays). Well we all had to leave the country shortly after the 2nd of April 1982 due to the Falklands being invaded. Happy days with Horizon - a very good company to work for. Tim Cheesman
TimCheesman
Noob
Noob

Coincidentally, I went to school with Malcolm Elstob in East Grinstead.
Steve Douglas
Noob
Noob

Right, sod all replies so I'm posting this in the vain hope someone is out there and also to keep this forum going as I assume if no-one posts it will die? Anyway, is anyone out there.....
marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, still here. Server is up and down as I'm moving house, and temporarily had to kip at a friends whilst stuff in storage....
Steve Douglas
Noob
Noob

Excellent. Well that makes two of us anyway...