Working Offshore Nigeria!

News and views - Any insider information? Put it here!

Moderator: Vixen

sparky4434
Noob
Noob

Anyone got any recent experiences of working offshore Nigeria? May be sent there soon with my company but have heard alot of bad things about the place - kidnappings etc.

any comments / experience?
DuncanR
Mechanic
Mechanic

I last worked there in 2002 on the MV Askelad for Thales. Actually did loading/unloading in Tema, Ghana and steamed over to Nigerain waters as Nigerian ports are such a nightmare. We were doing shallow surveys quite near the coast and had to deal with the local fishermen each morning at dawn. They had large wooden fishing type rowing boats with no lights and come right along side us begging for food or Chop-chop as they would say. They jumped on board our tailbouy one day and stole the strobe light and radar refector. The Askelad had pirate fencing around it to stop them getting on board. Apparently the trip before me they got on board and took some hostages, the youngest on board and took them to their village for a few days before releasing them. The only pirate action I saw was when the Nigerian coast guard came on board and rummaged through the ship. Luckily we had all hidden our Fags, money and CD's.
Great fun really don't be put off by the stories about Nigeria it's no worse than anywhere elsea really and a slight more interesting
marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

sparky4434 wrote:Anyone got any recent experiences of working offshore Nigeria? May be sent there soon with my company but have heard alot of bad things about the place - kidnappings etc.

any comments / experience?
Same as Duncan, I was on the m/v Ocean Commander for Racal and joined in Ghana before steaming across and starting work. We had an armed response made up of marines and ex-South African Police force....

Most decent companies have the acoustic deterrent (LRAD), I know thats what they have on here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_range_acoustic_device

At the end of the day mate, they will go for the Party Chief and Master first.....just pick up a broom and pretend to sweep the floors when they come on board :D
marky9074
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't let these photos from the Northern Explorer in Sudan a couple of months ago put you off.....

After a two hour exchange of fire, they left the gear and buggered off. Like idiots they decided to go back the next day and pick up the gear, and got shot at again...

Remember worse things happen at sea!
Attachments
Pirates014.jpg
Pirates014.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 25248 times
Pirates015.jpg
Pirates015.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 25251 times
Pirates007.jpg
Pirates007.jpg (22.23 KiB) Viewed 25253 times
Pirates004.jpg
Pirates004.jpg (30.15 KiB) Viewed 25254 times
DuncanR
Mechanic
Mechanic

Bloody hell look at the size of that machine gun on their boat. Brave man taking those photos
sparky4434
Noob
Noob

Guys - I just got my posting details & I am definatley off to nigeria this month........ I appreciate all of your comments!!!!! the photo's aren't exactly reassuring though!

Anyone been out to Nigeria recently with any more comments/advice??